Sunday, September 14, 2008

Social media monitoring tools - Review of Radian6

On Friday, I got a demo of Radian6. This is among several social media monitoring tools I'll be evaluating over the next week.

Radian6 came recommended to me by a friend who handles PR for Mars Candy. If Radian6 is good enough for M&Ms it's good enough for me (for those inclined you can follow Ms Green M&M's Twitter feed).

Radian6 is among a new breed of tools that search blogs, Twitter feeds, Flickr pages and other social networking sites and looks for key words and phrases. The way these tools present the information is key in making them useful.

I liked the UI and some of the search mechanisms of R6. Also, the price is reasonable. My only observation is that it appears (although I'm double checking this) - that Radian6 only monitors certain types of communities. It would be nice, if licensing allowed, if Radian6 allowed users to add their own feeds into the system.



For example, there are 6 dove chocolate fan sites on Facebook that my friend at Mars would have to monitor manually. If you are a vendor curious about Linux, you'd have to still manually monitor mailing lists.

Radian6 would be unable to track any of this.

As Todd Defren at Shift Communications mentioned on a recent Radian6 webinar (they call it twebinar - bringing twitter into the loop) - social media search is still a very manual process, even with automated search tools.

No comments:

Social Media - The Active Listener